iPhone Face Detection
I think it is pretty amazing, since as far as I know and searched, it seems that it is the first face detection app to be running on iPhone itself.
Regarding comparison with iFace and iPhoto - it looks like these apps snap the picture and send it to a central server for processing and etc. (I am not going to go in a detailed description and comparison of all these apps features though)
Also, it seems like hotels far away from home may act as energy and ideas boosters. One year back once setting up my site, I proposed myself to make the code portable and run on as many platforms, including iPhone which I got at that time. One year of delaying and finally few days of hotel lock-up and I have it working for the iPhone.
Feeling of satisfaction is unbeatable.
- Code is almost 100% portable. Yes, few minor tweaks of settings for the compiling environments, but overall the same routines are used for all these platforms: Windows, Linux, Cygwin, iPhone (FW 1.1.2), Mac OSX.
- It is good to see false-positives and missed true-positives if talking from research point of view, since this means there is room to improve and study. The percentages of detected true-positive, missed true-positives and false-positives seems to be around 80%/15%/5%.
- Still have to check and properly evaluate processing times. No figures here yet
- Compilers used are gcc flavors for the corresponding platform/architecture
- For the iPhone I used iphone-dev team’s toolchain for iPhone FW 1.x
- Unfortunatelly, I cannot share or release code at this point. Please don’t ask for it at least for the moment
- However, if you have any serious research or commercial offers, don’t hesitate to contact me (contacts on right panel)
- Click here for related links of my previous work
- Seems like last minute hassle made my facial features (eyes-mouth triangle) not to work properly. Hopefully will be fixed next time I touch the code (never know when it happens)
- Face recognition. I have some experimental code for PCA method, though I want more research on this.
- Face and flow tracking in video feed from iPhone (crappy) camera
Tags: iPhone face detection recognition tracking iFace iPhoto iFaceFriend image video processing computer vision digi-face digiface digi-face.net digi-face.org andrei costin andreicostin.com