Ghost is in the Air(Traffic) - BlackHat 2012 - ADS-B ATC hacking - real airplane replay, fake airplane spoofing/impersonation
- Jun-2011 - Jul-2011 - Initial interest and research started
- Jul-2011 - Feb-2012 - Some low-pace experiments, study of specifications, experiments, additional hardware acquisition
- Feb-2012 - Mar-2012 - Revived interest
- Mar-2012 - May-2012 - Development and preparation for BlackHat 2012 application
- May-2012 - Application for BlackHat 2012 application
- 07-Jul-2012 - Whitepaper and slides limited access available to BlackHat 2012 organizers only
- 23-Jul-2012 - Whitepaper and slides public access available to all
Demo Ghost is in the Air(Traffic) - BlackHat 2012 - Airplane replay, fake airplane spoofing/impersonation
- Make sure to check our whitepaper first before concluding and/or commenting - the whitepaper will definitely help in understanding all bits and pieces of our research, contribution, approach, etc.
- Main intent of this research is to objectively and technically address the insecurities in ADS-B
- In this context, our main contribution is twofold - demonstrate the easiness and practicality of such attacks before the ADS-B is 100% deployed and used as primary surveillance technology; as a consequence of first objective, the second is to dramatically raise awareness of the issues (known before but not properly addressed and/or disseminated) so that these can be fixed in appropriate timeframes before safety is compromised
- We didn’t literally discovered the holes - the holes have been known and theoretically discussed since early 2006
- No FUD intended or conveyed - we have tried our best (and hopefully succeeded in most part) to clearly push the “no-FUD and no-apocalypse” message into the reports and press, just facts and demos
In the news
Many thanks for the reporters for dedicating time and publishing space to this topic - very much appreciated!
Thank you everybody for the comments, thoughts, ideas and support!
Stay tuned (to 1090MHz) for more details from our side on this hot topic…
Tags: ATC ATM ATC/M ADS-B ADSB NextGen FAA EUROCONTROL CASA blackhat blackhat12 bh12 bh12us defcon hacker hacking replay fake spoof impersonate track airplane aircraft airforceone af1 usrp gnuradio sdr andrei costin andreicostin.com eurecom eurecom.fr